Thursday, November 13, 2008

Mustaches For Kids


Here's a picture of me, taken today. You're probably thinking, Look at that Adam Rex. What a big mustache he doesn't have.
Well, in keeping with the rules laid down by international fundraising group Mustaches for Kids, I will spend the next 30 days growing a mustache, possibly a very bad mustache, and enduring the public ridicule and haunting personal doubt that follows. To stay strong I need your pledges–any dollar amount will help–and you'll feel good knowing that your donation is going to help underfunded classrooms.
I promise to keep checking in with mustache progress shots twice a week, if you promise to pledge. You can go to my pledge page HERE, or through the sidebar on the right.
And I know I'm asking for money again pretty soon after that 5K I ran. Sorry about that, I didn't plan it this way.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent.
I'm hypothesizing that you will grow accustomed to the extra face warmth and still be rocking the mustache when we see you in May.

Adam Rex said...

I was wondering what that tingling in my upper lip was. My first donations!
Thanks, Kim and Stephen!

Anonymous said...

No handlebars? Horrors. I humbly request that a handlebar panel be convened at some point in the future to reconsider this section of the rules.

Adam Rex said...

I know, right? I grow a good handlebar mustache. I think the idea is to earn money for kids whilst looking increasingly like the sort of person who shouldn't be left alone with them.

Jason Michels said...

Aww. I wanted to start the Draw a Funny Mustache on Adam's Picture game, but I see that Blogger won't let me include pictures in my replies. That's pretty weak, Blogger!

:: shakes fist at Blogger for its weakness ::

Jason Michels said...

Wow. Considering that this is a fun event for charity, those guys are pretty uptight about the kind of mustache that you're allowed to grow. I'm pretty sure those are exactly the same regulations that the U.S. Army uses for mustaches.

Israel S said...

Looking forward to the coming days when you'll need a comb and some wax!

Adam Rex said...

I agree, Jason, but I like the sense of community the mustache rules bring to it. Like they sang in An American Tail, "And even though I know how very far apart we are/ It help to think we might be brushing up the same big mustache."

Anyway, thanks, Jason and Israel!

Anonymous said...

I love the Nov 13 8:15 pm comment, hilarious. What a fantastic charitable thing!