Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Stories that Soar!

I don't know if I mentioned previously that I'm on the board of a Tucson nonprofit called Stories that Soar! The exclamation point is part of the name–I'm not trying to convey that I'm really excited about that last sentence or anything. I mean, I AM excited about StS!, but I'm not really an exclamation point kind of guy. If I were any kind of punctuation it would probably be an em dash.

But the point is, Stories that Soar! visits Tucson-area schools and encourages kids to write and to feed the Magic Box, a hungry box that eats stories. Then StS! returns and puts on a stage show scripted entirely with the words these schoolkids wrote. And in case this sounds like it could come off as kind of squirmy and precious, let me tell you that the acting troupe is AMAZING.

Usually their shows are for the kids only, but this Thursday, the 20th, they'll be giving a public evening show. If you live in or around Tucson, I would love to see you there.

Jan 20, 2011 at 7:00 PM
STS! at AZ Schools for the Deaf and Blind
Berger Performing Arts Center
1200 W Speedway
Tucson, AZ 85745

2 comments:

Dan Santat said...

And do you by any chance do any of the acting as well Mr. Rex?

Adam Rex said...

Nah–I'm a passable actor if you don't need me to cry or show any real emotion, but I have nothing on the StS! crew.